New Trucks Used Trucks Parts Service About Us Contact Employment
Untitled Document
About
Founder
Photo Gallery
Timeline
     
  Company History

1942
Paul G. Davis and Jack Erickson begin working together at Hellman’s Tire Service. Hellmans’s is still located at 612 East 5th Avenue in Gary, Indiana. Hellman’s was the original White Truck Distributor in the area. Mr. Hellman made a decision to pursue the tire side of the business and gave up the White Truck distributorship in 1946.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
April 16, 1946
Paul G. Davis and Jack Erickson form a Corporation, Gary White Sales and Service. The building was originally a Pure Oil gas station at the corner of 5th and Chase streets in Gary, Indiana. Paul and Jack picked up the White Truck distributorship. The Pure Oil Gas station was the base building and over the 14 years, an addition was built on to the gas station. Paul and Jack also had a Jeep Truck Franchise at this same location. Gary White Sales and Service remained in this location until 1960.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1951
Freightliner enters into an agreement with the White Motor Corporation to market and service Freightliners across the country.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
January 1960
Gary White Sales and Service, Inc. moves to its new location at 7360 W. Chicago Avenue in Gary, Indiana. The new facility encompassed approximately 5 acres of ground, the shop, and offices. A newspaper article from 1966 describes the facility this way. “Five years ago they moved into their new building at the present address. Gary White is now under a spacious 21,000 square-foot structure.” Gary White continued to market the White Truck Brand along with Autocar, Freightliner and the Jeep truck. It appears that Gary White became an outlet for Freightliner and Autocar between 1960 and 1965. The agreement with White helped establish Freightliner. Sales of new units across the country reached 1000 for the year.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
March 1963
Art Davis, son of Paul G. Davis, begins work at Gary White Sales and Service, Inc. Art begins his career as a technician working in the service department.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
May 1969
Building addition for sales offices and office personnel was constructed on west end of existing location. This brings the facility to 25000 sq. ft. under roof.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
May 1973
Art Davis named General Manager.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
October 1975
Paul G. Davis and Jack Erickson retire. Art Davis and Ron Lisch form partnership and purchase business from the retiring founders. Paul G. Davis continued to work everyday at the dealership until his death in 1981. Paul G Davis was 73 years old at the time of his death and had been in the truck business for 33 years.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1975
White Truck Corporation and Freightliner dissolve their marketing agreement and Freightliner becomes a stand-alone brand and franchise agreement. Gary White Sales and Service, Inc. becomes Gary White Sales and Service, Inc. D/B/A Freightliner-White Trucks to reflect acquisition of franchise after dissolution of marketing agreement and to give Freightliner equal brand recognition in the company name.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
January 1985
Paul M. Davis, son of Art Davis and grandson of founder Paul G. Davis comes to work at facility full time. White Truck Corporation purchases the heavy duty truck assets of General Motors Corporation and assimilates the product line into their own. The corporation becomes known as WhiteGmc.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
March 1986
Mercedes-Benz Truck Corporation purchases all assets of Freightliner Trucks, Inc. and begins to revolutionize the way trucks are designed, built, and marketed to the trucking industry.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
September 1987
AB Volvo purchases WhiteGmc and becomes Volvo GM Heavy Truck Corporation. Gary White Sales and Service, Inc. D/B/A Freightliner-White Trucks changes its name to its current configuration of Truck City of Gary, Inc. The change was instituted to make the company name generic to appease the two truck manufacturers.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
December 1991
Paul M. Davis moves from the service department to truck sales department.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
January 1992
To better serve our customers, Truck City of Gary, Inc. purchases an additional 5.0 acres of property and 25000 sq. ft. warehouse and shop east of and adjacent to our current facility. This brings under roof total to 50000 sq. ft. and allowed us additional warehousing for parts and Body Shop facilities.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
March 1995
Art Davis’ partner of 19 years elects to retire and Art purchases all of Ron Lischs’ interest in Truck City of Gary, Inc.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
June 1995
Paul M. Davis becomes Sales Manager for Truck City of Gary, Inc. and begins to purchase interest in Truck City of Gary, Inc. A difficult decision was made to drop the Sales portion of our Volvo franchise but maintain exclusive Parts, Service, and Warranty to support our existing Volvo customers. This was done in order to obtain the Century Class and Business Class franchises through Freightliner and expand with the fastest growing and most progressive manufacturer in the marketplace.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
September 1997
Gerri Davis, daughter of Art Davis and Granddaughter of Paul G. Davis comes to work at Truck City of Gary, Inc.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
June 1998
Due to our expanding Service and Body shop business, 5.2 acres are purchased west of and adjacent to our existing facility to expand customer parking for tractor-trailers bringing our total facility to 15.2 acres and 50000 sq. ft.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
January 2000
Gerri Davis becomes General Manager for Truck City of Gary, Inc.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
October 2003
Selected by Freightliner LLC to represent all three of its current franchises, Freightliner, Sterling, and Western Star.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
April 16, 2006
Truck City of Gary celebrates sixty years in business.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
August 29, 2006
Truck City of Gary, Inc. inducted into the American Truck Historical Society.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
May 23, 2007
Truck City of Gary, Inc. breaks ground for new facility to be located at 2333 West 25th Avenue (corner of 25th Ave and Taft St.) in Gary, Indiana. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
June 2007 - January 2008
The new facility is built on twenty five acres with frontage on Interstate 94. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
January 21, 2008
The new building is dedicated on the founder's 100th birthday. A lucheon open house for 300 customers, friends, and family was held. A portrait of founder Paul G. Davis was unveiled and hung in the new lobby. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
February 11, 2008
The doors to the new facility on 25th and Taft are opened at 6:00am. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
December 15, 2008
Art sells the balance of his ownership interest in the dealership to Paul and Gerri. Paul and Gerri become third generation owners and take over responsibility of stewardship for the dealership that their grandfather founded over sixty two years ago.
 
     
     2333 West 25th Avenue - Gary, IN 46404 - 219.949.8595
All rights reserved. Truck City of Gary.